Please note that each service pack of MechWorks PDM is likely to include new enhancements/functionality (not just bug fixes). It is recommended to always reference the latest Release Notes to ensure that your environment is taking advantage of these additional enhancements. As always, we recommend that all upgrades are initially installed within a test environment (not within your production’s environment) so you can properly validate updated applications. Once MechWorks PDM is installed, the Release Notes can be accessed from within the installation folder, usually:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\MechWorks\MechWorks_PDM\relnotes.PDF
For example, with R20 Service Pack 2.0, there is a new [ABBREV_NAME] feature that is now supported. If you are already familiar with how MechWorks PDM supports the automatic method of populating Custom Properties with the user’s INITIALS, then being able to accomplish the same task for the user’s ABBREV_NAME will be very familiar. The goal of this new enhancement is to allow the Title-Block data to be populated with the ABBREV_NAME value where desired (in addition to the already supported methods). Reference the following example, any of the following could be easily populated within the Custom Properties of registered files:
- JD7348129: This is the user’s login for Windows (noted within DBWarm).
- Joseph Designer: This is the user’s referenced full name (noted within DBWarm).
- JD: This is the user’s referenced initials (noted within DBWarm).
- J. Designer: This is the user’s referenced abbreviated name (noted within DBWarm).